As the summer nears, it is nearly time to start tasting again, but first I would like to acknowledge my best and fairest for 2009:
BEST BREWERY: Nelson Brewing, Nelson British Columbia
- By providing consistently great beer and setting an example for other breweries, but using only organic ingredients, Nelson Brewery has earned the title of Best Brewery of 2009.
BEST HEFEWEIZEN: Nelson Liplock Hefeweizen
- Of the three tasted, Nelson had the best head, the best taste and the best name.
BEST LAGER: Pacific Western Brewing Natureland Organic Lager
- This is probably the best kept secret in BC. Of course, I feel better drinking organic beer, so It is easier to rate it favourably.
BEST HONEY LAGER: Granville Island Honey Lager
- I don’t know the difference between a regular lager and a honey lager, but this one got a 5/5, and would have won either way.
Best Pale Ale: Tree Brewing Cutthroat Pale Ale
- I gave this beer 100% for craftsmanship, freshness, and personal taste. I don’t know what else to say, it kicked ass!!
Best India Pale Ale: Nelson Brewing “PaddyWhack” IPA
- Flavourful and well balanced, this is the top IPA for 2009
Best Pilsner: Weihenstephaner Pilsner
- This beer could have taken on a lot stiffer competition than it did, it won hands down!!